Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Don't You Want To Be Taken Seriously?

So when revisiting all of the links I thought were important to my topic, I realized that one of the reasons no one in the government takes lowering the drinking age too seriously is because teenagers themselves aren’t taken seriously.

There is this preconceived notion that we are oblivious, ditzy teenagers that don’t know what is best for ourselves. Obviously there’s that bad egg in every case that seems to spoil the whole bunch, or in our case, all of the legitimate argument points. I can see where some people like MADD are coming from, there are some teenagers who feel that the drinking age should be lowered because “like drinking is like fun and like we should be allowed to like do it. Yayyyyyyyyyy!”. No! I don’t want that to be the stereotype for 18 year olds across the nation!

I ran across this organization that I now LOVE. It is serious, it justifies its opinions and claims, and most of all, it is fair and just. It is called the National Youth Rights Association and it has a whole chapter devoted to lowering the drinking age. This is created by intelligent kids who actually have their facts straight. These people are talking about human rights here, not just wanting to have fun by taking a couple shots. I found that their statistics and argument rebuttals were incredibly helpful for straightening out some of the facts provided by the anti-lowering-the-drinking-age groups. These kids are taken seriously (finally!) and help improve our rep. Muchas gracias for that one.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason the last two links were “forbidden” and I was not able to view them. Seems like they don’t want me to read about my youth rights. But any who it is not going to stop me from supporting your proposal of lowering the drinking age. But I agree with the fact that they represent the bad group of alcohol abusers to the entire population. There are a lot of us that do the right thing and make responsible decisions. I find it highly offensive that some people say that I am not mature enough to know when to stop drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? It is always frustrating when someone labels us in a certain way. Some people think this image of "irresponsible, alcohol-abusing teenagers" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Do you agree? I think that assumption has a point.

    ReplyDelete