Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Self Analysis Post

As Nelly Furtado so wisely sang (slash stole from an old English proverb) “all good things come to an end.” Depending on your opinion, you might not necessarily classify my blog as a “good thing”, but just humor me here.

Overall, I think this has been a good experience. As I mentioned in my first post, I didn’t start out this blog with massive amounts of factual knowledge. I feel that there are two types of knowledge, knowledge that is based on experience and knowledge that is based on facts and laws. Guess which one I knew less about. But now I’d venture that I’m pretty well rounded/balanced in both knowledge departments.

As for my growth as a thinker overall, this process has significantly improved the ways in which I think. Now its time for a heart to heart--real talk here. You ready? So, I have a problem. It’s serious. I have the mindset of a consumer. This brain tends to be a complete sucker for whatever is thrown at it. I can’t tell you how many info-mercials I have bought into or the number of times I’ve gone out to a particular restaurant just because “the commercial made this look yummy”. Same thing with facts and statistics, I tend to believe what people tell me. So when I read a fact about number of fatalities due to underage drinking, I say “Oh no! Underage drinking is bad!” What this process has helped me learn is that you can’t trust everything you read or the statistics thrown at you, as shown here. You need to analyze all possibilities and essentially be skeptical of everything you read.

When it comes to arguments, it is important to both A) know both sides to the debate and B) know who your audience is. I think I developed as a blogger through this process because I started out stating my opinions and feelings, and then I realized if I’m trying to convince adults to get on team 18equalsadult, I need them to take me seriously. That’s when I started making history references and introducing legitimate organizations and alternatives, like the Amethyst Initiative and The National Youth Rights Association. People are much more apt to take you seriously if you have serious things to back yourself up.

So through this process I have learned many things about lowering the drinking age: the risks, implications, and possible positive effects. Through my broadened knowledge I can now see what the debate overall is about. It boils down to safety and what can be classified as human rights.

Thanks so much for tuning in! I hope I provided you with enough knowledge for you to form your own opinion on the issue. Maybe I inspired you to create your own blog!!! Yes?? ….Is that too far of a stretch? Probably. Either way, gracias. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment